Donate to Brooks Historical

Thursday, October 15, 2009

To my cousin, Lynne

Mark Twain has always fascinated me. His witticisms and his compassion always struck me as quintessentially human... a humorous and touching inspiration. Twain is the "natural" nature of mankind. In considering my own loss of a young lady that brought me so much in touch with my own nature, I came across a quote of Twain's that he apparently made at his loss of another:

"Nothing that grieves us can be called little: by the eternal laws of proportion a child's loss of a doll and a king's loss of a crown are events of the same size."
- Which Was the Dream?

Karen Lynne Powell Garcia touched a great many people in this way, so unassuming, always ready to help, and always ready to help you feel important... a perfect partner for all journeys in life. Many experiences we shared... from the east coast trip to Cape Cod, the hunts for every ghost in North Carolina, the Florida trips to Disneyworld, and even the late night explorations through spooky moss-draped cemeteries and for that "Maco light," when we scared the pants off our other cousins. Her laugh still lingers in my thoughts, her smile is still in the sunshine of each day. No mere words can express the feeling. But, Twain's expressiveness and his humanity reflect best what Lynne's family truly feels today.

I will miss my friend. She is more than just family. She is the heart of our generation. We all carry a piece of that heart with us now... keeping the warmth alive. It is our responsibility to Lynne. It is the very least thing that we can do. And, the most delightful memory to keep.

No comments: